- - - - -

problem setting batch que in vms

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Rob Stebbens_*

Guest_Rob Stebbens_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2003 - 04:35 PM

I have a problem with proiv 4.0000 5.2.6 running on VMS 7.2, when I submit something to a batch ( in this case queue # 4 ) and run the vms script batch4.com thus:

$
$ pro "QUE4"

I get the response

*** PRO-IV undefined *** QUE4

however, submitting the command batch4.com manually, works. Anyone have any ideas?

#2 Shaun Rudland

Shaun Rudland

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 09:53 PM

G'Day Rob,

Not much of a VMSer, but it sounds like a user profile problem. It's fairly common when setting up Background Processing in UNIX that all the testing is done manually, and then it falls over once the automatic script is introduced. The solution ? The session fired off by the script needs to have enough permissions and access paths for directories, executables etc that are required to run a PRO-IV session.

HTH

Shaun
PRO-IV free for 385 Days B)

#3 Guest_Rob Stebbens_*

Guest_Rob Stebbens_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2003 - 10:00 AM

G'Day Rob,

Not much of a VMSer, but it sounds like a user profile problem. It's fairly common when setting up Background Processing in UNIX that all the testing is done manually, and then it falls over once the automatic script is introduced. The solution ? The session fired off by the script needs to have enough permissions and access paths for directories, executables etc that are required to run a PRO-IV session.

HTH

Shaun

Hmm, it seems very odd. If I exit to a subprocess from pro-iv, using ! at the question prompt - it seems to run ok. Maybe there's something different about the subprocess and/or my calling procedure?

Thanks,

Rob.

#4 hai

hai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2003 - 11:50 AM

Hi Rob,

What's in your batch4.com file ? when you execute $ pro "QUE4", "QUE4" is treated as a parameter for the pro command and it doesn't recognise it. I'm guessing that's why you received that error.

The first parameter should be the CO/DIV parameter which is an alpha-numeric of 3 characters. The second parameter should be the pro4 user id, also 3 characters.

I've execute the pro command in a VMS script using pro "LOG" "LOG" "function name", where LOG is a dummy CO/DIV and LOG is also a pro4 user ( just for running batch jobs ) and "function name" being another parameter.

To run a pro4 job from a VMS queue, don't you just submit your batch4.com file on a queue ? At the specified time/date, VMS executes batch4.com script which then logs into pro4 via pro command with appropriate parameters.

Hai

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2003 - 04:47 PM

Hai,
Lauching proiv with the parameter "QUE4" works a little differently than normal running. It will tell the kernal to execute the pro-iv runtime function READQUE which subsequently checks the settings in $BQUE and works out which "task" to do.

Batch4.com gets created when you install proiv on vms and appears in the directory SYS$SYSDEVICE:[PRO40] and doesn't appear on any VMS que. It is used as way of launching background processes without having to do a submit.

I found the problem was to do with my Pro symbol going out of scope when hitting any of the BATCHx.COM files. :ermm:

Thanks anyway. :)

Rob.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users