strange behavior

6 replies to this topic

#1 mmeneses

mmeneses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 02:56 PM

Hi, I need help I'm trying to figure out what's causing this strange behavior on my LU function. I'm not quite sure what's going on. It's happening sometimes and sometimes it's not. This is the error message "NUMERIC CONVERSION ERROR - EXTERNAL FILE = ITEM_LOC" . thanks

#2 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 03:17 PM

This error occurs when ProIV is trying to parse the record it has just read from a file. It's trying to convert the field ITEM_LOC into an internal ProIV numeric using the rules in the extended (EXTERNAL) part of the file definintion - and failing. Exactly what's going wrong may depend on your database. Is there anything different about the record that's failing?
It's likely that some other program may have written the record differently to the way ProIV is expecting it.

How is the external file stored & what is the extended definintion of the field?

#3 mmeneses

mmeneses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 October 2003 - 03:46 PM

Hi Chris,

"It's likely that some other program may have written the record differently to the way ProIV is expecting it."

If the program was written differently well I guess this behavior is not strange anymore because we will have this error everyday. The error is like an isolated case but I cant figure it out how to work on this problem.

by the way the ITEM_LOC is not a field it is a glovia standard table and it was used by glovia standard program. So far I dont know exactly what field is failing.

thanks a bunch,
Mike

Attached Files

#4 Vol Yip

Vol Yip

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 05:47 AM

Mike,

What DB are you using? Oracle? C-ISAM?

It look likes the file definition of ITEM_LOC in PRO-IV is different from the actual schema of the DB.

Check the file defintion of ITEM_LOC in PRO-IV and Superlayer level and regen the file / function involved.

Regards,

Vol

#5 Dan Shannon

Dan Shannon

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 11:46 AM

What version of PRO-IV? Vol's right - it's probably to do with a mismatch between PRO-IV filedef and table definition. We used to get this problem a fair bit with 4.6, not so much with 5.0 now.

#6 cplau

cplau

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 02:01 PM

Hi,

For C-ISAM, we encountered the same problem for a numeric field which we had set it as no negative sign in the file definition and the value of the field is a negative value.

#7 mmeneses

mmeneses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 02:17 PM

I appreciate all your reply, thanks.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users