Photo
- - - - -

segmentation error : coredump

35 replies to this topic

#31 Guest_Joey_*

Guest_Joey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:09 AM

My customer which is running AIX 5L and PRO-IV 46. Today, with no special event happened, user encountered "segmentation error: coredump" when try to connect to PRO-IV suddenly. At the time where the error happened, actually there were 30+ users existing at the server. And these users dead after the first "segmentation error: coredump" happened.

I don't know what happened and since no one is able to login to PRO-iV again (however, the rest of the applications work fine, like Oracle), I have to instruct customer to re-cycle the server.

What can I check for the reason why this segmentation error? Why does it happen suddenly? I need to take some preventive measure to aviod it happens again.

Thx,

Vol

Hi,

We've been using PRO-IV ver 4.0 revision 5.2.8 since February 1999. And just now we are encountering a Segmentation Fault error particularly when sending a 30-page print job Also, we encounter the same when running a batch program like uploading a sales transaction with 5000-6000 records.

Our PRO-IV runs on AIX version 4.2.1 . We have tried re-installing the PRO-IV but to no avail.
We have, likewise, tried a few of the recommendations found in this forum but still haven't solved the problem. We have already tried the following steps:
1. Get everyone off PRO-IV
2. Kill iscollect process
3. Removed shared memory and semaphores, with the ipcrm command
4. Remove the /etc/isamlog file
5. Create an empty /etc/isamlog file
6. Log back into Pro-IV

We're fully dependent on our application and the downtime have cost us too much. Hope you can help us. We'll be waiting for your reply.

Thanks.

#32 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 10:45 AM

Hi,

What file system are you using Oracle, ProISAM, CISAM???

Rob D.

#33 Guest_joey_*

Guest_joey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:49 AM

Hi,

Rob D.

CISAM.

#34 Guest_joey_*

Guest_joey_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:56 AM

Hi,

Rob D.

CISAM.

and PRO-ISAM also

#35 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 12:55 PM

Have you checked that any of your ProISAM files that the function is using are over the max size??

If you try to access ProISAM files that are corrupt, it causes the function to core dump sometimes.

Rob D.

#36 Vol Yip

Vol Yip

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 August 2003 - 11:49 PM

This kind of segmentation error alwasy makes me lost. And at my customer's place. No matter how I change the isamdef setup, the isamlog keeps on growing but with unexpected entries in the file. I am expecting entry like "share memory full" etc. But the file I've gotten is like this.... :)

Attached Files

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users