- - - - -

Import/Export and ClearCase version control

20 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_Neil Mellis_*

Guest_Neil Mellis_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2002 - 12:03 PM

Sounds like a hack to me!

Do not expect sympathy from support if you corrupt your source code.

#17 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 01:31 PM

Thanks Rob,

However, I was asking in there was an officially supported capability !! :)

I am very surprised one can change the parameters of a runtime callable function though - I has no idea that would be possible.

In fact I didn't think the symbol table was still around, so I'm (idly) wondering how ProIV still knows where it put '$FUN' in memory..

Cheers, Richard
Nothing's as simple as you think

#18 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 23 September 2002 - 01:47 PM

> By opening a single native function it will automatically be loaded to VIP if not present.

Ah - so the ABILITY is pretty much there. Thanks Neil.

The issues relevant to the current discussion would seem to be:

1/ Where a function had already been 'VIPped' but is 'imported' from V4 (say) again, will VIP realize its additional crossrefs etc.. are potentially invalid (out of date) and 'VIPload' the function again?

2/ If one wants to merely 'import' and regen a function (thus not to 'open' it presumably) does gen need any of the new VIP info AND/OR is there any danger of gen being misled by potentially out-of date new VIP info.
[Remember importing an entire application 'release' and regenning it from scratch is precisely the kind of thing we want ClearCase and so on for.]

3/ Would it be sufficient to simply 'pre-delete' all the new VIP info for a function/suite-of-functions in order to make things safe?

#19 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 12:06 AM

Hi,

Neil:
Well, as for it being a 'hack', if there was sufficient documentation and utilities to do what people wanted to do, then we would not have to do this sort of thing.
As for it corrupting source, I did say try it in a 'test' env first to make sure its ok. But I would expect that your function has plenty of checks in it so that it cant corrupt the source :)

Richard:
Yep, that works with Global Functions.

You just need to add the parameter so that the calling function can be regenned. The 'genned' global function already has the parameters genned into it.

I thought that you wanted to write your own stuff to import functions into VIP and incorporate it into your Version control, maybe. Thats why I suggested it.

Rob.

#20 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 12:39 AM

PS... Does that mean VIP can corrupt functions?

#21 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 September 2002 - 09:11 AM

>You just need to add the parameter so that the calling function can be regenned. The 'genned' global function already has the parameters genned into it.

My misunderstanding Rob, I thought you were adding a parameter to the list but you were just reinstating the essential bit of missing source - I can see that would work.

> I thought that you wanted to write your own stuff to import functions into VIP and incorporate it into your Version control, maybe. Thats why I suggested it.

Although I could figure out what extra records VIP uses and needs, that's a pointless exercise _IF_ VIP can (re)create that information for me. Also, since VIP is new I'd expect that stuff to change quite often at least in the early days.

Thus it make more sense to rely on VIP to create any and all 'redundant' performance-enhancing data - otherwise I'd have to review the necessary work with every new VIP release

Thanks for the help though, Richard

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users