bus error in Pro-IV 4.6 R500

3 replies to this topic

#1 Clarence Owens

Clarence Owens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 07:04 PM

We are using Glovia 5.4 with the Pro-IV 4.6 R500 kernel and are getting a reproducable bus error but cannot determine the exact cause or a workaround. We are not getting a core file. I have run this program with the Pro-IV full trace option and the function always dies during or immediately after adding a row to one table. Removing one global lscall and some local lscalls that really don't do anything useful allows the program to go much farther into the run but it still errors out at the same point, in or just after executing the before write logic for the file.

Our DBA says there are no Oracle errors. Our Unix admin says he cannot see why we are not getting a core file but that perhaps the Pro-IV kernel is not calling for one. Is it a matter of calling for one or might there be some parm set in the HPUX 11 operating system that is preventing its creation?

We are getting desperate since this error is preventing us from loading new sales orders into our system.

Does anyone else out there have experience with diagnosing bus errors?

#2 Mike Schoen

Mike Schoen

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 June 2003 - 08:37 PM

Not that this will help you find the cause, but we had found with version 5.0 on hpux that a full trace
would die during calls to sprintf with null parameters, and this would get generated sometime early on in trace logs, so that we couldn't trace anything.

We did manage to get some limitted tracing with TRACESQL only, but I think we had to stay at level 8 or lower.

#3 Vol Yip

Vol Yip

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 12:51 AM

Hi Clarence,

What exactly is your bus error? The error is generated from eAccess through TASK? (process cart to create SO?) or normal Superlayer update when you create SO?

In the problem function, is there any embedded SQL call?

Regards,

Vol

#4 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 17 June 2003 - 01:28 AM

Hi,

As Mike says, the trace command is not too stable in 5.0 & 5.5. I've started to notice that it causes ProIV to crash quite a bit now. Which is not very usefull when you are looking for errors.

If you want to email me the trace file I can take a look at it and see if I can spot anything. If its too big (> 5mb zipped), then just give me the last couple 1000 lines. Set TRACEALL = 15 and TIMESTAMP = Y.

Rob D.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users