5 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:28 PM

Hi,

The new release of the kernel (5.5r302) has 4 new commands, PUTCOM,PUTNCOM,GETCOM,GETNCOM.

These are methods of storing values, much like the @$COM & @#COM variables.

However, these new commands have been implemented as Global Logics that call Global Functions and write the values into files rather than memory.

Global Functions are slow when they are called many times, since the function has to be loaded each time.

Therefore, if your application / module is 'performance' based then be careful not to call these routines too many times as they are many times slower than using @$COM & @#COM.

Rob D.

#2 Bill Loven

Bill Loven

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:41 PM

:D Rob, did you know that ProIV is working on cashing global logic such as PUTCOM, GETCOM. I have been using these for over a year. I got these from Darren who wrote them.

Bill

#3 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 12:43 PM

Hi,

Yes I know that ProIV are working on caching global functions... I suggested it too them about 2 years ago :D

Rob D.

#4 Andy Jones

Andy Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 08:43 PM

Just to avoid any confusion - these are not new PROIV commands.

The global logics and their associated global functions aren't part of the PROIV source base (dbase.out) and are only installed as part of the PROIV Demo.

They are used by the Time Sheet system demo and are therefore not supported, so use at your own risk!
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Don't learn from your own mistakes - it's safer and more entertaining to learn from the mistakes of others!

Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!

#5 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 04 June 2003 - 11:31 PM

Errrr,

There is a section in the release notes for these 'commands' explaining what they are and how to use them.

Doesnt that mean that they are supported and can be used??? Or can we not trust the documentation now?

Rob D.

#6 Andy Jones

Andy Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 June 2003 - 12:34 AM

:) Well yes they are in the release notes, but in the documentation for the Time sheet demo.... they're not new PROIV commands or "standard" global logics which would then be in the development guide. They are examples of a technique using memory files to store & retreive session-based data in an application.

I just wanted to clarify what and where they are, before other developers wonder why they can't find or use them - as will happen if they do a base-only install.

Sure you can use them, that's why they have source code.
But as the source is provided for developers to look at and hack at, I'd suggest that if you are going to use them in your own app, it's probably best to isolate them from the demo by copying the relevant files & functions - if only to match your naming conventions and categories.
There's already some data in the files for example which I assume the demo app relies on but would be noise to other apps - obviously you can delete it all out, but then maybe it'll break the demo if you are sharing the same files....
As they are part of the demo, they may or may not have been installed or altered in any particular system that you come across, that's why I suggest they shouldn't be considered to be a 'supported' component of PROIV. The features they use, such as memory files are supported though.

The choice is yours! Just my two-cents... :D
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Don't learn from your own mistakes - it's safer and more entertaining to learn from the mistakes of others!

Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users