Windows 2k Page Fault

2 replies to this topic

#1 Bryan Thompson

Bryan Thompson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 07:45 PM

I'm currently running pro-iv 5.6 v216 on windows 2000 Advanced Server with Sql 7 backend. I've been researching some performance issues and have noticed that whenever I do the smallest thing in pro-iv such as logon. The Performance monitor showing the percentage of page faults on the server immediately spikes to 100 percent. Now if I execute a function, the page faults remain at 100% as long as the function is running. I'm curious to know if anyone else is having this problem or has noticed similar oddities in pro-iv running on windows 2000

Bryan

#2 Ross Bevin

Ross Bevin

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 May 2003 - 10:39 PM

Hi Bryan,

I gather 5.6 is a typo and you are on 5.5? We are running 5.5 r217 (just upgraded from r216 today) on Windows 2000 Server and SQL Server 2000. I have never experienced this problem you are having, even when we were on 5.0. It may be that the new SQL layer that Pro-IV has implemented does not work as well on SQL 7 as it does on SQL 2000.

Ross

#3 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 05 May 2003 - 10:00 AM

I don't really use Windows but it occurs to me to wonder what "page faults 100%" actually means in the situation you are describing.

If it just means that a particular monitored process generated 100% of the page faults that occurred in some monitored interval then that might be entirely expected if there was only one active process and may indicate no problem at all - it would depend how many actual page faults were occurring.

Of course I'm just idly speculating - I'm not familiar with the monitoring facilities.
Nothing's as simple as you think

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users