PRO-IV Market

50 replies to this topic

#16 Jeff Hon

Jeff Hon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 01:44 AM

I agree with Cleve. Pro-IV needs to make it easier for beginners to understand the language and it's timing cycles. Maybe a step by step guided tutorial on CD-ROM or online training accessible to anyone over the internet would be a great help.

I had to learn my Pro-IV from a damned manual. That was 3 versions too old. With missing pages. It nearly drove me insane.

Jeff.

#17 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 02:31 AM

I guess this is going to create a 'landslide' of questions and newbies to the site....

Depending on the magazine they choose to publish the CD on, it could create alot of traffic here...

#18 Brian Manners

Brian Manners

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 05:38 AM

I suppose it depends on what level shelf the magazine ends up on :-"

Edited by Brian Manners, 14 May 2003 - 05:40 AM.

It's all good

#19 Philip Hill

Philip Hill

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 08:27 AM

I think one of the main reasons PROIV hasnt taken of is that no-one has heard of it outside the PROIV community.
When was the last time you saw a book about PROIV <_<

#20 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:13 AM

Anyone here want to contribute to a book or training course?

There must be a good deal of stuff archived here. If we all contributed something I'm sure we could put out a useful document. Maybe we set up some central collection point for stuff, someone to edit, proof read etc.

I know we're all busy but I'm sure it would be possible. This would be a "not for profit" enterprise as I don't think that anyone would make any money from it!

Rob - perhaps you should put up a special part of the site called "Cover CD Help" and bill ProIV for the bandwidth!

#21 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 14 May 2003 - 10:32 AM

Good thought Chris.

There sure is alot of info here now, its just a matter of searching through it all.

I have talked to a couple of people about this in the past, but not really sure how we can go about it.

Should it be a word doc, text file or even a new forum, where only a certain few people can 'move/copy/edit' relevant posts into? This would then be like a FAQ type of a forum.

As for the bandwidth, we'll see how much we get first. But I could easily setup another forum labeled 'CD Cover Disk'. I probably would not get any help from ProIV with this though. It should be ok though, we only get through about 500MB per month and I've got a 10GB limit (w00t)

Rob D.

#22 tank

tank

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 05:32 AM

To answer Bob's point, PROIV are about to release a free "single developer" version targeted at the Windows and Lynux base and complement it with an aggressive marketing campaign (cd's on magazines etc)

Can you tell me anymore about this? When is it going to happen? Can I download it from somewhere? What magazine? etc? (w00t)

#23 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 18 May 2003 - 10:21 AM

Hi,

This is all the info we have so far, but keep checking back here as I'm sure we will get some info soon.
Rob D.

#24 Guest_Guest_tank_*

Guest_Guest_tank_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:41 AM

This is all the info we have so far, but keep checking back here as I'm sure we will get some info soon.
Rob D.

Thanks. I will. :-" Can you let me know if there is even a prerelease beta or evaluation version I can take a look at. (w00t)

#25 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2003 - 06:52 AM

Everyone is asked to be more accountable in tight budget times. It doesn’t matter if your client is a government agency, a corporation, or a $3 million start-up. All companies want a defined ROI and to make a measurable impact with each project or sale.
There is a huge inefficiency which prohibits the market feedback mechanisms needed to efficiently orient some sort of strategy.
The primary driver is the siloed structure of most organizations. The hand-off from thinking to doing is not well orchestrated. One functional silo comes up with an idea and says to another, “Great, go put this into market.” The other one may recognize issues that have a strategic impact, but they consider them outside the scope of their responsibility despite the impact on program success.

#26 Steve Jenkins

Steve Jenkins

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 12:31 PM

What the hell are you talking about?

#27 Kevin Bruss

Kevin Bruss

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 19 May 2003 - 03:26 PM

Sounds like the chicken and the egg.

Sounds like, basically, to release the single developer version there should be
a defined "Return on Investment" due to today's market.

Since Linux and windows devleopment is an unknown (particularly when most of it is free), there may not be an incentive from a profit standpoint to put the code out there for those users.

Does that sound about right?

#28 Guest_ScottM_*

Guest_ScottM_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:10 AM

Nice idea, but I fear a few years too late.
Realistically, I cant imagine why anyone would want to try out proiv given the multitude of alternatives out there.
I think the average non-proiv programmer would be seriousley put off by the nature of proiv, unless of course it was seen as a good career move........

The best way to entice developers into the world of proiv is to either bribe them, or convince them that the language is just like say, vb, java etc etc (delete where appropriate).

#29 Phil

Phil

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 May 2003 - 10:43 AM

But surely the aim is to initially entice business's not developers ScottM.

I welcome and look forward to the free single developer CD and aggressive marketing campaign - Bring it on ! :)

It may be overdue, but too late ?

Lets see the impact of it.

#30 Guest_ScottM_*

Guest_ScottM_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2003 - 11:00 AM

Agreed but business's are put off by the lack of developers and the high licencing costs.
I would bet there are more companies attempting to phase out proiv, knowing what it is like than companies knowing what it is like and thinking of taking it on.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users