4 replies to this topic

#1 Jrgen Neegrd

Jrgen Neegrd

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 12:43 PM

Hi
I'm testing the new version of Pro-iv at work.

We have just installed and testet pro-iv on Linux RedHat 6.0, now we will try to move our application from Pro-iv 4.0 on Solaris with Pro-Isam files to Pro-iv 4.6 on Linux with Oracle 8.
We are not sure how much work there will be to get it to work properly on this new platform.

Jørgen Neegård

#2 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 28 July 1999 - 01:27 PM

Hi,

I am just in the process of testing our system on Oracle coming from CISAM & PRO-ISAM.

It seams like alot of Embedded SQL needs to be put in PRO-IV to help performance and also the commit points need to be looked at.

Otherwise Oracle is VERY quick. On our machine it takes 5 seconds to search through 1.3Million records and return 1000.

Converting to 4.6 is no problem, we just upgraded our development env from 4.0 to 4.6 in 1 hour.

Rob

#3 Rob Fantini

Rob Fantini

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 28 August 1999 - 11:59 PM

>It seams like alot of Embedded SQL needs to be put in PRO->IV to help performance and also the commit points need to >be looked at.
Could you give an example?

>Otherwise Oracle is VERY quick. On our machine it takes 5 >seconds to search through 1.3Million records and return >1000.
Was the selection done in a proiv function?

#4 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 29 August 1999 - 06:41 PM

Yep, I put SQL in LS Entry logic to do the select instead of letting PRO-IV use it's default SQL.

Rob

#5 Dan Shannon

Dan Shannon

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 29 August 1999 - 11:51 PM

I've just finished part 1 of a large Oracle conversion and my thoughts are as follows:

PRO-IV tends to be very direct about what it wants from the database - when it wants a particular record it will ask for it.

This doesn't suit Oracle very well, since Oracle would prefer you to ask for 30000 records of 10000000 records all at once instead of one at a time. PRO-IV in 'transparent SQL' mode isn't very efficient at this.

So you can (assuming the app suits it) make Oracle very efficient under PRO-IV, but you do have to write 'explicit SQL' if you expect it to work well.

This can take a VERY long time to do - I know some sites (with very well-designed DB's) that have converted to Oracle in a month, while others have taken over a year.

In the end, it's a function of how good your code is, not how good Oracle is (i.e. brilliant)

Cheers

Dan Shannon

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users