3 replies to this topic

#1 Tony Waszkiewicz

Tony Waszkiewicz

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 05 November 1999 - 06:04 PM

We are currently using Btrieve, CISAM and RMS (on Digital VMS) and want to convert our system to Oracle initially and then to SQL Server. Does anyone have any tips or useful functions that would help?

#2 Dan Shannon

Dan Shannon

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 November 1999 - 06:46 PM

Hi Tony,

Yes, Glovia have a set of tools which are pretty good. BUT it's not difficult to do it all yourself, simply a matter of converting the FD's to Oracle sensibly and having a GOOD DBA to do the Oracle stuff.

Be careful with odometers and look hard at functions which perform multiple reads and sorts as they will be very inefficient under ORACLE.

I've just been through the process here at Dell (also on VMS) so if you want any other help let me know!

Cheers

Dan Shannon

#3 Malcolm Fell

Malcolm Fell

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 November 1999 - 03:05 AM

Yes been there done that. Points to note include
1) Double you machine capacity, we went from a RS6000 590 to a RS6000 F50 using the fastest possible CPU chips and it still runs slower than ordinary ProIV ISAM
2) Double you disk capacity, Oracle is very hungry.
3) Conversion was a real pain. You must correctly size your tables and load the data using SQLLoader.

Any more points required please Email me.

#4 Richard Bassett

Richard Bassett

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 December 1999 - 10:20 PM

Have a good look at the 'Transaction Processing' section of the Pro-IV Environment Guides. Although I don't think this is really up-to-date it is helpful.
Try and involve someone with some experience of tuning Oracle or (knowing how hard it is to get those people) study a couple of the books on the subject. It is a big help to avoid spurious performance problems due merely to configuration.
Keep the database on the same machine as the Pro-IV application.
Nothing's as simple as you think

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users