IMPORTING/EXPORTING IN PRO-IV

6 replies to this topic

#1 vidal

vidal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 September 1999 - 03:07 PM

Anyone knows if exporting functions (including development and file-definitions) and importing it in a run-time enviroment could cause Pro-IV not being able to copy another version of the functions over the old one?
Apparently, we are unable to import new versions of the functions over the old ones which were imported with value-variables, development and file-definitions into a run-time enviroment.
So, when a functions which is runnning in a real enviroment needs any fixing, we simply can't substitute it for a new one...

#2 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 16 September 1999 - 03:43 PM

Mencio,
Which version of PRO-IV are you running & on what platform? What message do you get when you try & import new versions or when you try & run them - is it actually running a regen of the source that was imported by acciedent?

#3 vidal

vidal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 September 1999 - 01:37 AM

Chris,

We are running Pro-IV 4.0 in a SCO-Unix enviroment for developping the applications and the same version of Pro-IV in a HP-UX 10.10 enviroment as run-time.

In some cases when we try to export/import a function in order to fix any problem it seems like the old version of the function remain the same even when we import the new version over the old one. I know it sounds like I'm a little bit crazy or like I drink more than I needed :) , but we have over 25 programmers working with Pro-IV and all them are suffering with this problem...

I believe the problem occurs when on of the programmers by mistake export/import functions including value-variables/development/file-definitions, but I'm not sure because I don't know if doing this could cause it.

thanx.

Mencio.

#4 Guest_Surendra Aggarwal_*

Guest_Surendra Aggarwal_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 September 1999 - 04:03 AM

Dear Mencio,

PRO IV caters for export/import both between same or different platforms. In case of different platforms there is an extra step to be undertaken at each end because of the basic differences like collating sequence, data stoage format etc.

Follow these steps and everything will work like a charm:

1. Export the desired functions from SCO Unix environment. This will create a .prx file

2. Now run isout utility on the .prx file. You will get a file .out (or whatever extension you give in the command line. This is an ASCII file.

3. Transfer the file to target system i.e. HP-UX platform. Run isin utility on this platform on the file from the source platform. It will give you a .prx file

4. Now do import from this .prx file.

I am not sure is this is documented somewhere. I used this procedure many times when I was working with McDonnell Informaation Systems.

Good luck !!!

Surendra

#5 Ralph Gadsby

Ralph Gadsby

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 21 September 1999 - 05:41 PM

Many, many years ago I had a similar type problem in 1.5103. We were developing on a Novell network and running the system on an AS/400 [if you've ever tried developing on an AS/400 you'll know why we chose this route;) ]. After removing lines of logic and then importing onto the AS/400 we would end up with superfluous lines of logic, i.e. it was overwriting the existing lines on the AS/400 and not removing the extra lines from the end of the logic. The only way we found to cure this problem was to purge function specs [option 16 on @UM].

Another problem I found was in 2.2 where if the interface for a global function call was changed the export/import did not transfer the change. The work around was to rekey the changes on the destination site! I don't know if this fault still exists in subsequent releases.

#6 Dan Shannon

Dan Shannon

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 September 1999 - 07:31 PM

> Another problem I found was in 2.2 where if the interface
> for a global function call was changed the export/import
> did not transfer the change. The work around was to rekey
> the changes on the destination site! I don't know if this
> fault still exists in subsequent releases.

It's still there in v4.0 BUT only affect SuperLayer - if you use native to do the export/import it works...

#7 Chris Pepper

Chris Pepper

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 September 1999 - 06:47 AM

Global function calls weren't in 2.2! They are in 3.0 though and the problem does exist there. We use them from the standard PRO-IV level (with some added functions to get at them) as they were only officially released with Superlayer.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users