VIP ListBox column header length limitation

2 replies to this topic

#1 Albert Ho

Albert Ho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 03:16 AM

I'm not sure whether there is some settings somewhere in VIP that have I missed configure or is it a really a bug.

I found out that the listbox in VIP (ver. 5.0 & 5.5) has a limitation on how long a column header can display. Say if I have 10 column to be display on the list box, and each column's header has length of 10 characters, during run-time I would be able to see only column 1 to 6 or 7 having headers, the rest (column header 8 to 10) of the headers are truncated. VIP only allows around 60 characters to be displayed on a listbox.

Rgds
Albert

#2 Andy Jones

Andy Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 04:52 PM

Hi Albert,

It's a limitation of the function bootstraps so not really a bug. The listbox column titles are actually held on the LS cycle record (in the 'title' field) and this has always been limited to 74 characters.

VIP abstracted the title from the SEL cycle record and placed it against the fields to help the developer associate the individual columnn titles with each field. Unfortunately it can still fall foul of this length limitation - as you've discovered - but there's no way around that.
Note you 'lose' a character for each column because each title has to be separated by a comma when they are finally written to the cycle title. This is why you couldn't account for 74 characters.

Support for cycle titles up to 250 characters has now been implemented into the 5.5 kernel and and the next VIP release (5.585) will support longer titles on all screen cycles.

Regards,

Andy
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool...

Don't learn from your own mistakes - it's safer and more entertaining to learn from the mistakes of others!

Just because you can, it doesn't mean you should!

#3 Albert Ho

Albert Ho

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 02:05 AM

Thanks Andy appreciate that.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users