50 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Fantini

Rob Fantini

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 12:08 PM

Where is @MODX documented? I saw a reference to is in the bootstraps thread. I searched my 4.6 r200 docs and did not get a hit. I DO have @MODX.

Also any advice on using @MODX? like bugs, pros cons etc.

#2 Ralph Gadsby

Ralph Gadsby

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 12:30 PM

@MODX is an undocumented unsupported utility that most old hacks, like myself, use when some other tool (such as DS, SL, Pro-Aide, PDE or my own editor) is not available. @MODX uses the same functions as @MOD, but @MOD only allows a linear path through the individual screens whereas @MODX allow you go backwards and forwards through the various parts. It also has options for other utilities such as function copy and rename. These two options work intermittantly on versions of the bootstraps prior to 4.6R

#3 Rob Fantini

Rob Fantini

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 12:58 PM

I've only used pro-iv @MOD to maintain and create pgms , and have over 2000 pgms written for my company over the last 12 yrs. I work with pro4 about 5 hrs per normal week. But there are times when it is 60.

Could you give me more info on some of the other tools?

Which do you consider best for most circumstances?

#4 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 01:07 PM

Hi Rob,

PRO-AIDE is the best tool around.

Basically, it puts the function in a paging screen with lots of windows.

Great of inserting fields & LSs.

I think you have to get it from PROIV LTD now, it used to be owned by an independant company.

Rob D

#5 Rob Fantini

Rob Fantini

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 02:25 PM

Does PRO-AIDE = SuperLayer?

Also I could not find the proiv ltd web site. do you know it?

#6 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 02:30 PM

No, PRO-AIDE is not SuperLayer.

SuperLayer is a 'Layer' that sits on top of the Native PROIV to create standard screen layouts and coding.

PROIV LTD web site is www.proiv.com

However, I dont think that they advertise PRO-AIDE.

Rob D

#7 Shaun Rudland

Shaun Rudland

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 February 2001 - 04:36 PM

G'Day Rob,

PRO-AIDE was written by a company called Pro-Sys Ltd. I'm not sure about application ownership these days, but the Pro-Sys site is still up and running, and has information regarding Pro-Aide and associated products. www.pro-sys.co.uk

If you want my two cents worth, I haven't seen a better native PRO-IV development toolset.

Regards

Shaun
PRO-IV free for 385 Days B)

#8 Guest_Neil Mellis_*

Guest_Neil Mellis_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2001 - 05:36 AM

Have you guy's actually used Dev Studio!

Why use something that is not supported, green screen based and slows down developement time. Because it works is no a forward thinking buisness case

Studio supports all 4.6 features and has been in existance for over four years and should be bug free. I have not had any serious or moderate bugs reported for some time and yes it is being used by a large number of developers. We performed a survey a few months back and found it to be used on over 50% of native sites worls wide.
That is not to say it is perfect as it was the first real use of PROIV GUI and callable functions with it's internal design making use of new features for the first time and not necesarily the best. Prior to creating Studio I had used Pro-Aide for 6 years and the design reflects this.
Developer Studio is supplied as part of standard development product on all non mainframe platforms so try it.

Good points:

Easy to use Pro-Aide developers up to speed in about half a day.

Full structural insert/shuffle of function components.

Cycle (characteristic) extraction including linked cycles to new functions (diet those fat functions and reuse code)

Mandadory scratch varible support and management (stops those logic based hard to find typos.

Lots of tools and searches

Bad Points:

A little dated and clunky in GUI design with too many clicks to navigate (no worse that Aide poping windows).

Documentation poor (I chose to use online help context based and screen hotspot driven which looked ok but is almost impossible to maintain the screen images and content)

#9 Rob Donovan

Rob Donovan

rob@proivrc.com

• Admin
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 17 February 2001 - 06:28 AM

I think that PRO-IV LTD now owns PRO-SYS....

Any one know for sure?

Rob D

#10 Rob Fantini

Rob Fantini

ProIV Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 17 February 2001 - 08:25 AM

Well how do you setup Studio?

I've a common setup.

ProIV running on a unix box with terminals and win98 pc's connected.

Network is tcp/ip, with 192.168.1.* addresses.

Please point me to an uncomplicated and accurate document which explains howto setup Studio.

#11 Shaun Rudland

Shaun Rudland

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 17 February 2001 - 06:22 PM

G'Day Neil,

I appreciate that you want to be protective of your 'baby', but a few points for you.

- Believe it or not there are still some us who develop green screen PRO-IV applications, and therefore a green screen development tool is pretty handy

- PRO-AIDE may not be supported, but there are questions surrounding PRO-IV's support. We are having difficultly in even finding a Melbourne based reseller for release upgrades

- How does PRO-AIDE slow down development time ? There is a saying about an experienced abacus user being quicker than someone with a calculator; newer 'technology' is not always quicker

- I quite often use software 'because it works', and I find that quite a 'forward thinking business' strategy. Staying up with the 'latest & greatest' is not always best practice; witness Windows.

- The standard PRO-IV development environment is a long standing joke. Therefore I would hope that if something even moderately better were supplied free with a development licence then at least 50% of installations would use it. What are the other 40-odd percent using ?

'Orses fer corses.

Regards

Shaun

#12 Guest_Dan Shannon's evil twin_*

Guest_Dan Shannon's evil twin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2001 - 07:39 PM

'Because it works is no a forward thinking buisness case
'

... better not use Developer Studio then ;)

Dan Shannon's evil twin

#13 Guest_Neil Mellis_*

Guest_Neil Mellis_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2001 - 10:51 AM

Matrix Quote ' Welcome to the real world '

Believe it or not Microsoft has all but won the desktop market and as the most widely available common computing interface we, that is PROIV have to take advantage of the capabilities that it provides.

I did not say that Pro-Aide would slow you down but would not be as fast as Studio or VIP and that should be in the interests of your buisness. I used to develop using Aide and MODX but you simply can't beat having for or five seesions active on a desktop with your documentation and spec material. Granted if you are developing green screen apps then speed of development is the only advantage but in developing GUI or Web based apps you have no other choice.
Please do not describe it as 'my baby' maybe 'errant child' is better description.

#14 Guest_Neil Mellis_*

Guest_Neil Mellis_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2001 - 11:08 AM

The install guide supplied on the PROIV CD details unix and client options.
You may wish just to isin the studio.out file which should live where the pro execustable was installed into your development bootstraps. You will need to install the client software (client only option) from the downloead or distribution CD.

When Studio is first launched only PTI SYS SYS or the old MDC SYS SYS are supported for studio access. You must set up access for each individual developer by using the STUDIO drop down menu selcting options and the ADMIN button on the popup. The default password is ADMIN from which you will be able to grant access to other PROIV developers.
n.b.
Individual developers should have a unique logon id so that some of the studio components are not shared across the system.
The online help (a bit out of date) should help ypu with other areas select help dropdown and contents or screen level help.

#15 Shaun Rudland

Shaun Rudland

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 18 February 2001 - 05:14 PM

G'Day Neil,

I'm sorry, but I've looked through my previous post and cannot find anywhere in it where I lambast the GUI environment. I did not question Microsoft's market domination nor PRO-IV's need to cater for that market. The only point I raised was in relation to Microsoft's product quality.

As for the real world, well I would say the real world is the world that one lives in. To be more accurate, the real world that I inhabit is that of my current client. This may be PRO-IV GUI, PRO-IV Green Screen, or something completely different. PRO-IV's apparent blinkered view may be one of the reasons that they never made the leap from mediocre to great.

Regards

Shaun

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users